Are you having trouble looking for the right under the sea costume for your child for the Halloween? To gain ideas and tips on what type of sea-themed attire to make, read the article below.
What is Halloween?
Halloween is a traditional American festival celebrated every October 31. During this day, young and adults alike are busy preparing for their respective Halloween activities. Children are busy visiting every house tricking and treating and collecting sweets, candies and money, while adults are busy attending different types of Halloween parties.
History of Halloween
According to history, it is a long tradition of Celtic culture to communicate with the dead and the living. They believed that the dead has the power to inflict sickness to human beings and to ruin crops. The Celts hold festivals wearing costumes to appease the spirits.
As times changed, the festival evolved along with it and every year different cultures from different countries celebrated the event with fun, mystery, flair and excitement. It becomes a perfect time to enjoy with friends, loved ones and family.
Aside from school activities, theatrical plays and school programs, Halloween is a perfect event where everyone can unleash their creativity, can shed inhibitions and can get creative. Aside from tricking and treating, visiting house to house to collect, candies, chocolates, sweets and money, children love the event because they can wear the fancy costumes of their choice.
There are plenty of costumes available to choose from, you just select which one suits your child best. If you are looking for under the sea costume, you can consider creating your own, renting from costume rental shops or buying from department stores. If you want to make and sew your own attire, you can get inspiration from magazine and the Internet.
Under the sea is one of the several Halloween themes suitable for aquatic-themed party. If you want to choose what attire to wear, you can select between creatures of the sea, the sea itself or someone who enjoys the sea. It can be made using accessories and old clothes.
Different types of do-it-yourself costumes:
- Fish – Make your own fish attire using a solid-colored sweatshirt and fabric paint. Paint a fish with scales on the sweatshirt.
- Seaweed – Use several shades of green fabrics and cut them into strips. Lay these strips over a T-shirt to become seaweeds.
- Coral reef – Paint several pieces of large Styrofoam with different tropical colors and let them dry outside. Once dry, attach them to a blue sweat suit using Velcro or glue. When your child put it on, paint a tropical fish on his/her cheeks to complement the corals.
- Starfish – You need a hooded sweatshirt and sweatpants for this task. Paint the sweatshirt and sweatpants to look like a starfish. When attending the party, be sure to keep your child’s legs in wide stance and their arms above their head.
- Mermaid – You can attach seashells on your child’s bikini top and use a stretchable shiny fabric around her legs. Be sure that the cloth is in green, purple or turquoise shades. You can cut a slit in between or add fins at the bottom using a fabric or a fun foam.
- Humans – Your child can go to the party dressed in a scuba diver suit or sailor suit.
- Ships – Using a ship-shaped box, cut a hole in the top enough for your head to fit through. Paint the box to look like Titanic and use Styrofoam to act as your iceberg.
- Octopus – To make an octopus, use feather boas or fabric strips attached to your kid’s waist like a belt. Hang them down and add appendages. For octopus’ head, cut a large bulb shape out of fun foam or cardboard and paint it using purple or bright green shades of paint. Cut circles out of foam and paint it with little pink or purple. Attach the octopus’ body around his neck using a yarn or ribbon.
With the tips and ideas mentioned beforehand, you can be sure that your child can have the best under the sea costume in the party.